- Partnership between Koda CrossFit and University of Oklahoma Men’s Rugby TeamPosted 15 days ago
- American Weightlighting: The DocumentaryPosted 21 days ago
- New Research Puts CrossFit Workouts to the TestPosted 22 days ago
- Maxwod: Crossfit Equipment From Expert Box OwnersPosted 23 days ago
- WODshop.com Athlete Sgt. David (Davey) Lind participates in His First Ever CrossFit CompetitionPosted 23 days ago
- Friends & Farms Launches Pickup Site at CrossFit Federal HillPosted 23 days ago
- My Fitness File software releasedPosted 26 days ago
- Premier CrossFit Coach Doug Katona Introduces Athlete CellPosted 100 days ago
- Crossfit Coppell Central Prepares to Transform Bodies … and LivesPosted 117 days ago
- RXchips announces a new CrossFit product that helps you count rounds during a workout (WOD).Posted 138 days ago
Repairing Hands for Three Generations – Winnie’s RipFix
By Robin Ribeiro
RipFix™ has been in my family for three generations; it was concocted in the kitchen of my grandmother and passed down to my mother and then to me. As a kid we called it “Miracle Cream,” and we depended on it for almost everything –dry cracked lips, heels, rashes, scrapes, burns…even zits!! But as gymnast who never wore grips, it was essential in my gym bag because it works amazingly on hand rips. My Mom made it for gymnasts and ball players, and I’ve known since my 20′s that I was supposed to market our family recipe; I just didn’t know where or how to begin. When I began doing CrossFit I knew that I found my market – but first I had to figure out how to make it! It took a lot of trial and error because my mother is trapped in the world of dementia and the recipe would change every time I asked her about it (you can laugh, she has a great sense of humor). I figured it out, tweaked it a bit to make it more holistic, found a great business partner, and like that, my business started. I started selling RipFix™ to my own CrossFit community and to the local CrossFit community and received rave reviews and requests for more. Thanks to the encouragement of my CrossFit community, CrossFit Talon in Cool Springs, TN, my business partner and I now have vendors around the world.
While working at CrossFit events, I have discovered that many athletes do not know how to care for their hands, and guys are particularly skeptical about treating their calluses. RipFix™ was sponsoring an event not too long ago and a guy ripped so bad it was a bloody, ugly, gnarly mess –about a 1/4 inch of skin ripped… I told him to use the RipFix™ from his swag bag and he said “No way it will work on this.” I said “just try it,” and he did. Two days later he contacted me on our RipFix™ Facebook page saying “You win, it works, I did pull ups today, I owe you.” I love hearing stories like that, I have many and they keep coming!
For some CrossFitters, rips are a right-of-passage, a warrior wound, a sign that you worked hard…but that gets old quick, especially when your daily workouts are affected by a hand that is not healthy enough to hold you on a bar. We have found that if you do daily maintenance on your hands you will be less likely to tear. When you build up those hard mounds of flesh known as calluses and then add friction, they have nowhere to go but to tear off, causing painful rips. If you file down the calluses every night with a pumice stone and apply RipFix™, your hands become more resistant to the hard work and beat down that a WOD like Fran or Helen causes on your palms. RipFix™ not only mends a rip, it is a great preventative tool.
The RipFix™ story has come around full circle because I am now a single mom to a state champion Gymnast and her whole team uses the product. Our product is selling to CrossFitters worldwide and I am also now known on the local CrossFit circuit as the Rip Lady…fixing and treating WOD hands one Box at a time!!!
Owner and Founder